Monday, November 21, 2011

Nana's Pumpkin Spice Cake (vegan style)

This weekend was unseasonably warm here in North Carolina.

Just when I thought the cold weather was here to stay we had a bright and sunny Sunday which involved lots of playing outside.

Before we played we had to make a stop at Costco after church.

Somehow I don't know how...this ended up in our cart:


Yes I now have the mother of all blenders and I am more excited than Andrew in this picture.

The first thing we made you ask?  A green lemonade...which was delicious and refreshing for a warm Sunday.


I also made this which is perfect for Thanksgiving or any of the other 364 days of the year.

Nana's Pumpkin Spice Cake

1 2/3 C sifted all purpose unbleached flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
1 C light brown suger (firmly packed)
1/3 C shortening (softened)
1 C canned pumpkin
1/2 chopped nuts (I used leftover almonds from my almond milk that I made here)
1 egg (regular or flax)

Put all of your ingredients into one bowl and mix until incorporated (you just can't get any easier then this).

At first it will look like this:


Put the batter into a greased 9x9 pan and bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes.

It will come out looking like this:




Now I did add a quick icing (powdered sugar, Earth Balance, vanilla, and a splash of almond milk).

This cake is so moist and full of spice.

It would have been delicious on it's own (making it more a quick bread), but with the icing you take it to a whole new level of love.

Show someone you love them and whip this up.

Do you have a dessert from a relative that you love and is easy?

I hope you all are having a wonderful Monday only 3 more days till Thanksgiving....YEAH!

4 comments:

  1. OMG I am so jealous of your Vitamix!!! I wish I wasn't a poor college student and could buy one for myself! Lol. The pumpkin cake looks fabulous as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel, I'm so jealous...a Vita-Mix! Were you able to get a good deal at Costco? There aren't any around here but for a deal, I'd consider some traveling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the mother of all mixers! I've heard they're amazing! ....and the spice cake looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete