Monday, August 20, 2012

New Addition

No we aren't having a baby (I've had 3 and that is enough).

No in the mail we received a new addition to our family (about 1000) of them.

Would you like to take a guess as to what it is?


They come all packaged up in a linen bag.


Oh so intriguing I know :)


We have worms!!!


We have decided that instead of a traditional compost bin (which we've had for years) that we are going to switch over to worms.

Vermiculture to be exact.

We have about 1000 worms that reside a big rubbermaid container (yes holes were drilled for air and ventilation).  Inside you put in a bed of cardboard and sherreded paper as well as your food scraps (veggies, fruit, pasta, and bread...no meat they are vegetarians like me).

It is truly a cool process to see how much the worms can go through and how fast they can break down the organic matter.

Once we have enough castings (aka poop) we can spread that in our gardens for some of the richest fertilizer you will even find.

Do you compost?  If so what is your chosen method.

Be sure, if you haven't done so already, to enter my Conscious Box giveaway (it is open until midnight on Tuesday the 21st).

10 comments:

  1. Check about apple slices. I seem to remember our worms dying when we added some in at preschool.

    Love always,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have red worms and the only things on the "do not feed" list are: meat, dairy, and very fatty foods.

    This makes them a great choice for vermiculture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cool! We do traditional composting, but my daughters class did teh vermi compost and it was really neat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so cool! Our compost bin isn't breaking down as fast as we would like...wonder if this would help. Of course, once it hits late fall I imagine it would be too cold for the worms.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun! I will be interested to hear how they work! Keep us informed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow!!! I have heard of this, but never actually seen anyone do it!! You'll have to do an update soon. I'd be interested to see how this turns out for you!

    We give all of our kitchen scraps to the chickens (except meat) and then we give the chicken poop to our flowers. Cycle of life. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I forgot to mention that the chickens eat those flowers. Completes the cycle!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cool! I remember seeing Julia Roberts talk about this on Oprah years ago. It's not really feasible in my condo, but I would totally do it if I could!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've got a traditional compost pile at the moment and it's huge... we have so many garden clippings, cut grass and kitchen scraps that go into it... but it seems to take an age to break down. I don't know whether worms would be able to get through the amount of garden waste we have. You must let me know how you get on. Maybe worms is the way to go...

    ReplyDelete