Monday, April 9, 2012

Vegan Chocolate Chip Sourdough Muffins

That is quite a mouthful for a title, but once you have the muffin in your mouth all you will want to say is "mmmmmm."

I am still loving sourdough and trying to find new ways to incorporate it into our daily foods.

Since my children didn't like the loaf of sourdough that I made (even though I loved it toasted with a little Earth Balance) I thought add chocolate they are sure to like that.

I was right!



Sourdough Chocolate Chip Muffins

1 flax egg (1 Tbsp flax meal mixed with 3 Tbsp water)
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 C sourdough starter
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 C chocolate chips
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 C oil
1 C flour (I used half whole wheat and half white)
1/4 C sugar

I am not one of your more refined bakers so I just put everything in one bowl and mixed until everything was incorporated.

I am careful not to over mix, but I am not one of for keeping the dry and wet ingredients separate (I know I am such a rebel).

Scoop into your greased muffin tin, muffin wrappers, or silicone molds (my favorite eco-friendly option).

Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes.  I have a convection oven so I cooked these at 400 degrees for 18 minutes.

This makes 9 muffins.

I just wish I had made these in time to have for Easter morning...oh well there is always next year.



What do you make with your sourdough?  Do you have a recipe you would like to link to or share?  Please do I am looking for plenty of ideas and inspiration.

I hope you all have a wonderful day!

10 comments:

  1. I finally had sourdough success! I think I will try this with blueberries...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love anything sourdough and our 'Big Lots' here actually has a dollar bread rack that always sells the best sourdough. It's almost expired but I just buy my 6 loafs and stick it all in the freezer, we go through it like crazy, it's seriously my kids favorite snack.

    I unfortunately haven't had the best experience with making my own starter. I had such high hopes for the bread and it was tasteless. So sad. I ended up using it for French Toast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This makes me want to try sourdough even more. I so miss that bread my mom used to make every week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love anything sourdough, but don't think I've had a muffin with it. Great idea to keep them from being too sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohh those look delicious. I don't always seperate my ingredients either ...why dirty another bowl? I'm heading to the store today to pick up some flax meal to try the flax egg!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My kids aren't too crazy about sourdough either - so I always order it when I'm out somewhere. I love the idea of the flax egg - that's a clever substitution!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The chocolate-sour dough combo sounds DIVINE!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am chocolate addict! No day without chocolate! This recipe was for my daily chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great use of sourdough. I bet it pairs great with the chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's a great recipe, I used oatflour because I was craving that and they are delicious!!

    ReplyDelete