Tuesday, April 3, 2012

I've Been Fermenting

Well I took the plunge with sprouting and made raw hummus


I've taken the next step and now I am fermenting my food.

I made a sourdough starter.

It doesn't look like much:


But it is the coolest thing I've done this week.

Following the directions over at Peas and Thank You I was able to flawlessly accomplish a weeks worth of stirring and feeding my sourdough baby and at the end of the 6 day fermenting period I was able to produce this:



Which turned into this little bundle of joy:



I do have to put out there that I am not a fan of sourdough bread at all. 

In fact I avoid it.

You may ask then why did I make the starter?

Well I just wanted to see if I could do it.

And I am glad that I did as the flavor of this bread only has a mild sour flavor. 

By using the whole wheat flavor the bread has a more nutty flavor.

Completely delicious with a little slathering of Earth Balance, or you do what I did and make it into vegan French toast (however mine was greedily consumed by my 4 year old...oh well we mom's just have to share).

I can't wait to try more things with my starter.  I am thinking muffins or pancakes are next. 

What do you think?  What would you use sourdough for?

I hope you all are having a wonderful Tuesday.  Be sure to enter to win a case of Chobani Champions (here) that giveaway is going on till tomorrow (Wednesday the 4th).

8 comments:

  1. I've thought about making homemade sourdough bread. I love anything bread. But, I've always been so finicky with the starter...kinda worried it won't work or turn out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love sourdough bread, but have never taken the plunge to make a starter. It's going on my list of things to try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a big fan of sourdough. We love paninis and this type of bread is the best for them. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun creations! I would love to try making break like that. My mom used to make it every week. I still vividly remember the smell of it baking fresh in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the pancakes sound like a good idea!

    Love always,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your bread looks awesome. I did it too, but mine first attempt didn't come out very plump...didn't rise well. Will try again this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not a fan of sour dough either but I want to make Gf bread one day just to see how this process work.

    ReplyDelete