Saturday, July 9, 2011

Fun Frugal Friday

Friday was a fun day.

We did a variety of small tasks that when you put it all together makes it look like a fun filled frugal day.

I started the day by going to get a haircut with Andrew, he is in his uncle's wedding next week and needed to remove the shaggy hair from his head.


Now I am never one to pay full price for anything, unless absolute necessity.  So I was psyched to see this on the back of my grocery receipt


So we headed here


And in no time flat he was looking trim and handsome again...of course we had to stop for a little snack (paid for by a gift card I scored through MyPoints)


We have a small issue at my house, don't know if it is the incredible humidity of the south or just because we have a ton of plants growing around here, but there is a bug issue (mainly mosquitoes).

After a little internet research my husband and I found a recipe that we were hoping would pan out...and if it didn't we would make use of the leftover ingredients


Vodka you say??  YEP!

Start bug repelling concoction by steeping 4 ounces of water and a handful of basil leaves (they are plentiful in my backyard)


Once cool remove the basil leaves and add 4 ounces of vodka


Pour mixture into a spray bottle and it is ready to use

**Update we tried this spray out today and it works like a charm**

The fun didn't stop there

When I picked up the mail this was waiting for me


About 6 weeks ago I signed up, through Nasoya, to do their "Tofu University."

In exchange for purchasing 4 select tofu products and trying out some of their recipes I was given this v-neck t-shirt by American Apparel (sustainably produced...yeah!).

Not only did I get a free shirt but each week I got an e-mail coupon for $0.75 off of a Nasoya product...sweet right?  To make it better my local grocery store doubles coupons so I was getting $1.50 off...WOOHOO!

Our last bit of fun came when we went to Faucette Farms and picked up our weekly CSA (Community Supported Agriculture).

This week we hit the mother load.






Included in our bag:

8 peaches
1 bunch of green onions
2 huge bags of shiitake mushrooms
2 large shiitake mushrooms (different variety sort of resembles a portabello)
1 quart of blackberries
1 canteloupe
2 pints of blueberries
1 cabbage
1 bunch of carrots
5 zucchini
1 large red onion
6 ears of corn
2 yellow onions
6 tomatoes
2 green bell peppers
12 potatoes

Recipes from this plentiful supply coming tomorrow

Remember if you get a chance vote for my blog, My Naturally Frugal Family, on Circle of Moms so that I can be in their Top 25 Family Blogs. :)  The bottom to link to their voting is on the right hand side.

2 comments:

  1. I love the pictures of Andrew! His haircut looks very handsome!

    And I guess the kids and I will have some good eating this week! Wow!

    Love always,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the vodka & basil bug repellent tip! I hate to douse myself with all those chemicals typically found in traditional repellents.

    ReplyDelete