Monday, September 12, 2011

London Bars and 9/11

Yesterday was an emotionally draining day, and I know I am not alone in saying that.

I wanted to share with you a song that was played in my church service, "Shine" by David Crowder Band.  I think it fits the bill and helps with the healing, that 10 years later we still need:


Outside of watching the memorial service I did some baking and this is what I made:

London Bars


This is a recipe that my grandmother left me and one I don't think I had ever had the pleasure of her making for me (as you can see though the recipe card was well used).



I am very glad that I pulled this one out and gave it a whirl.  It calls for nuts but I substituted in chocolate chips.  I will preface this with saying that I wanted to make it vegan, but as I got into the recipe I realized I didn't have any egg replacers at my house.  I went to my local grocer and they didn't have any either (I was thinking a flax egg wouldn't produce the right effect)...so I had to use eggs.

Crust:

1/2 C Earth Balance
1 C unbleached all purpose flour
1/2 C brown sugar

Cream together Earth Balance, sugar, and flour. 



Your mixture, once everything is incorporated, will look a little like sand


Press your mixture into a dish


Bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes

While the crust is baking assemble the topping

1 C brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 C chocolate chips (or nuts)
3 Tbsp unbleached all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 C coconut (shredded and unsweetened)

In a stand mixer mix your eggs until they are light.

Add sugar, flour, and salt (continue mixing)

Add coconut and vanilla (continue mixing)

With a spatula mix in your chocolate chips and pour over top of the crust.

Place back in the over for 20-30 minutes at 375 degrees


Cut into squares and serve



Be careful though because those suckers are HOT...don't worry I suffered through the pain because they were so darn tasty.


8 comments:

  1. Oh, my! These look fabulous!!! I adore coconut...and I cannot resist it in any sort of cookie or bar! And then you added chocolate....mmmmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had them made by Nana, and they were delicious!

    Love always,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the David Crowder Band - thanks for sharing the video link and your grandma's recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yesterday was definitely emotionally draining. I wish I had these bars to help me endure the day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I commend the poise, courage, pride and dignity of the American people during this difficult time. This tragedy has brought world communities closer together and a testimony that good will always triumph over evil.

    We send them our heartfelt thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't heard of London bars before, but they sure sound delicious. What a treasure to have your grandmother's recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Emotional indeed! How nice that you were able to make your grandma's recipe... I always find family recipes so comforting, don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful song. Thank you for sharing it with us.
    I've never heard of London bars! I'll definitely have to give those a try!
    I inherited one of my nan's old cookery books and I was so excited to find a bunch of hand written recipes stuffed in the back of one of them. I'm slowly working my way through her recipes, adapting them here and there to make them super healthy. I feel a strong connection to my nan when I make these recipes. It's wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete