Monday, September 10, 2012

Ultimate Vegan Buttermilk Biscuits

This weekend, Saturday specifically, I got on a wild tear and everything we ate was made from scratch.

By the end of the day I was a little tired from the cycle of cooking and cleaning, but in the end it was totally worth it...

Especially when the day started out with these:


Vegan buttermilk biscuits topped with baked apples and a caramel sauce.

Buttermilk Biscuits:

2 C flour (I used white wheat from Trader Joe's)
6 Tbsp Earth Balance (cubed)
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp sea salt
1 C buttermilk
cinnamon and sugar to roll dough in

To make buttermilk, if you don't have any on hand, just take a cup of milk (I used regular almond milk, NOT the vanilla) and added 1 Tbsp of white vinegar.  Let the two sit in a bowl for about 5 minutes before adding to recipe.

In a food processor add your flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.  Pulse for about 10 seconds to get everything incorporated.

Next add in your Earth Balance and pulse until a crumb mix is formed.

Add in your buttermilk and allow to process until a dough ball forms (takes about 30-45 seconds).

I found that this way was WAY easier than using a fork or pastry cutter to incorporate the butter.  Plus there was just one bowl to clean up afterwards.

At this point you could flour a surface and roll your biscuits out if you wanted to have a cut biscuit but I wanted to make drop biscuits which were rolled in cinnamon and sugar.

So take about a tablespoon of dough and roll it in your cinnamon and sugar mix and place each ball in a pan (I choose a spring form pan, but any cake or bundt pan will do).

This is what I ended up with:


I still have a bunch of apples from my mother-in-laws house so I decided to add them to the mix.

In a skillet I added about 8 cut apples (I left the peels on but you are welcome to remove them).

To that I added 2 Tbsp Earth Balance and sprinkled about 1/4 c of brown sugar (homemade).

As the butter and sugar melted together a caramel was formed.


Pour the mixture on top of your biscuits and allow to cook for 10-15 minutes at 450 degrees.


It didn't photograph all that well, but I did have three very happy (albeit sleepy) children who were very willing to eat it despite the not so pretty appearance.




The biscuits were so soft and fluffy...they really did turn out perfectly, if I do say so.

Here I left the last bite for you (with the crunchy caramel goodness on the bottom):


6 comments:

  1. Yummy! You are making me hungrier than I already am. ~Tonya

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look delicious! I want some! And I LOVE the cutie pictures of my precious babies!

    Love always,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love baking benders! It looks like your was quite productive - I would have hogged that whole pan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great way to start the day! (especially a day of good eats) These vegan biscuits look like a piece of heaven. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look delicious, Rachel! I love anything with apples, so I'll have to try this sometime. Would love if you linked up sometime to my new recipe swap on Tuesdays: http://annapolisandcompany.com/2012/09/coastal-living-cobbler/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay, another recipe to try out in the shiny new food processor! :) Thanks so much for sharing. Despite what you say, I think it looks absolutely delicious in the photos. I'd love to tuck into a plate right now!

    ReplyDelete