Tuesday, August 23, 2011

What in the World?

Do you ever look around and see things that make you say "What in the world?"

I've been looking around this past week and have seen some strange things, for example:




Apparently you can make jelly/jam out of just about anything.

Around my house there have been some things to give me pause



That is a large Tonka truck tied to a kids car you push with your feet.  I can only imagine with the kids were doing when they rigged this up, although I am quite certain I would have been nervous to see it.

Around the house there are oddities like this little fella hanging out in my plants


The one item that was not odd, but absolutely fantastic was our sample of Let's Get Pickled (who are absolutely the nicest people and their customer service is incredibly prompt) marinated garlic. 

What was it marinated in?  18 year old white balsamic vinegar...WOOO!

I opened the jar and thought "MAN is the family going to enjoy this." 

I wish there was smellavision because the garlic was so fragrant and large.

From their site:

Our super jumbo garlic is locally grown in Gilroy, California.

We use the freshest vinegar and garlic that are known to provide excellent health benefits.

Many studies show that fresh garlic has positive impacts on a wide range of health problems, such as cardiovascular disease, colorectal and gastric cancer, prostate cancer, and unhealthy cholesterol levels. Garlic's proven antioxidant, antibiotic and antibacterial properties deliver a powerful preventative boost as well.

Marinated garlic with skin on, can age for up to 30 years and it only gets better with time. Just keep it in a cool, dark place. You can eat this by itself or as a side dish with your favorite food, or add it to your salad. Vinegar can be used for cooking or as a salad dressing too.

Now I don't eat meat, but everyone else in my family does.  So it was with pleasure (but much guilt) that I prepared this steak for my family.  Now to be fair the meat was organic and fed a grass fed diet (which is what cows were meant to eat).

For starters I roasted the garlic in the toaster oven for about 20 minutes to bring out its flavor


I removed the skins and put it in my magic bullet along with a splash of olive oil to help make the mixture smooth.



Salt and pepper your steak


Then smear with the garlic mixture...use it all as the more garlic the better.


(sorry the photo is so dark my husband, who is helping here was blocking out all of the light)

Saute in a pan.  You'll want to make sure you only turn the steak once.  I cooked the steak about 7 minutes per side.


And your final result is this:


The kids and husband scarfed this up and admitted it had the best flavor yet.  I have to give all the credit to my garlic...thanks so much Let's Get Pickled.

I cannot wait to try more recipes with the garlic and share them with you...I am sure there will be some garlic and potatoes this week (my favorite combination).

I will make this one obvious plug give Let's Get Pickled a try I promise you will not be sorry and you will be amazed at the flavors and speedy service (seriously I don't know how my shipment reached me so fast).

I will be curious to see if eating it makes you do this:


"What in the world?"

6 comments:

  1. mmmmm steak! Sounds great. I love soe of those pictures. very funny

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't eat meat, either, but I'm sure your Dad would love the steak, too. Love the pictures of the kids!

    Love always,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photos made me smile!!! My kids are older so I'm not seeing guys hanging from the trees like that any more, but we did have our fair share!
    The steak looks heavenly, love that it is organic and grass fed (like it's supposed to be! :) )
    and the last photo really made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always a sucker for garlic! You scored!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Corn cob jelly? That looks and sounds so strange!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to laugh when I saw the strange jars of jam and jelly. :) I'd find the same type of thing in the back of my pantry as well! What you did with the garlic sounds fantastic! Nothing, nothing, nothing goes to waste! :)

    ReplyDelete