Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Tomato Recipe 1000 "Pico de Gallo"

Ok 1000 might be a stretch for how many recipes I have created and meals I have eaten with tomatoes, but it really does feel like 1000.

We have an abundance, to say the least, coming out of our garden every day.  It just seems that more and more ripen and come in the house.

Now don't get my wrong I LOVE tomatoes, but...

What should I do with these tomatoes?


Well I've already made 10 quarts of kitchen sink tomato sauce (recipe here), eaten numerous sandwiches and salads...then it hit me...pico de gallo.

Pico de gallo (also known as salsa fresca) is translated as "rooster's beak."  This has nothing to do with my recipe, but I think it is a fun little fact you could throw out at your next party.  It is so called because originally it was eaten with the thumb and forefinger, and retrieving and eating the condiment resembled the actions of a pecking rooster (so says Wikipedia..and who am I to argue with them).

The salsa is super easy to make and just requires a few ingredients.


Ingredients:

9 tomatoes
1 onion
4 jalapenos
1/2 bunch of cilantro
2 cloves of garlic
2 limes (juiced)

All of the ingredients were chopped and limes juiced and put together in a bowl.  Mix gently and then chill in the refrigerator (the flavors meld together so nicely when you do this).

You can include other fresh ingredients and increase or decrease other ingredients...make this fun and creative.  I would like to have added corn, but I was overruled (maybe next time).

Pico de gallo is one simple dish and looks so vibrant in a bowl


I happened to have on hand, what is now, my new favorite tortilla chip


I got these from my first trip to Trader Joe's (which was just this past weekend...so much fun and so glad I went, hopefully it will not be addictive to keep going back).

There was a lot of salsa so my husband and I canned 7 jars to have on hand for later (snacking and meals).


For canning:

1) Make sure your jars are sterilized (by dishwasher or boiling in a pot of water)
2) Fill jars with salsa
3) Place sterilized top and ring on jars
4) Place in water bath (boiling water) for 20 minutes
5) Remove from water and allow to cool on kitchen towel

While the jars are cooling you will being to hear a pop sound and that is the jar sealing...nothing to cause alarm.

If you have a jar that doesn't seal be sure to place it in the refrigerator and use just as you would an open jar of salsa.  It cannot sit on a shelf if it's not sealed.



I have fed your mind (and hopefully your belly if you make this recipe), now let me feed your soul. 

I would like to take a moment and share with you an opportunity to support a charity.

My friend Lisa at Lisa's Foods on the Move is running in a half marathon in 59 days...YEAH!  And at Disney no less. 

She is seeking people to sponsor her run so that she can help give back.  The charity she has chosen is The Food Bank of Western Massachusetts.  For every $1 donated the food bank can supply $13 worth of food to households in need. 

So won't you band together with me and help her raise $250?  If you would like to join me (I donated this morning) click here for her fundraising page.

14 comments:

  1. Rachel - I love your blog and I must say it's impressive that you write EVERY day! I wish I could do that but I just have to stick to MWF because of school and such! Thanks for following over at my site! Now I am following you - Can't wait to go Vegan with you in September! PS: Love love love pico de gallo! And that you canned it - what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Blog! I LOVE all of the pictures &&& the recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your very nice comment at my blog. It was a fun movie. Love your tomatoes here...the pico de gallo is very colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks fantastic, LOVE pico de gallo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's great! I've never had pica de gallo. I'll have to add it to the list :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Rachel! Save this one for my monthly recipe party? It looks AMAZING but its not quite a what-i-ate-wednesday post, ya know? did you want to participate? shoot me an email and I can explain anything you need me to!

    Have a fabulous day!

    xoxo
    jenn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for sharing my fundraising page, Rachel. That's so sweet of you.

    Our tomatoes are just getting started, and this year I want to try to dry a lot of them in my food dehydrator. I love the idea of adding dried tomatoes to pizzas and pasta sauces.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was in the same tomato boat last year. I even made this recipe for my over abundance of tomatoes! This year, however, I have harvested 1 tomato so far! Just 1!! Epic garden fail!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice blog you have here Rachel. Love this post on salsa. I will be coming back to read more of your posts. I have followed you. I invite you to follow my blog too.

    http://spoon-and-chopsticks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, love the tomato recipe! Errr..... is one of those bottles reserved for me?? Hahaha! Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. YUM! Nothing better than some fresh pico.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love pico and LOVE those chips from TJ's too :) Looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ohhhh I love Pico!!!!!! I madea great peach salsa the other day that was very similar but more sweet and less hott!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your pico de gallo. Such fresh flavors all rolled up into one great bite. I do alot of canning and this would be perfect. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete