Thursday, August 4, 2011

Veganized Cobbler...don't be scared

To say that dessert in my house is important would be an understatement.

My children LOVE dessert. 

It is often the motivation they need to finish up dinner or complete a chore.

You can't argue with cleaning your room when you can smell something delicious cooking in the oven.

Last night as a treat, and not motivation, I baked peach and blueberry cobbler for the family and as the resident vegetarian member of my family I decided to "veganize" it.

Ingredients for the fruit filling:

5 peaches (sliced)
1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
1/2 C sugar
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp cinnamon
juice from 1 lemon

Ingredients for the cobbler:

1 C all purpose unbleached flour
1 Tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 Tbsp Earth Balance
1/2 C almond milk (unsweetened)

*as a preference I use all organic ingredients

To prepare the fruit filling combine, in a skillet, your sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, and lemon juice. 

Stir to combine and then top with peaches and blueberries.


Stir the mixture frequently until it boils and the sauce begins to thicken.


While the sauce is thickening prepare your cobbler dough.

In a bowl combine your flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.  Cut in your Earth Balance.  Then add your milk to form a dough.


By this point your sauce and fruit mixture should be thickened and ready to spoon into an ungreased baking dish.



Man does that fruit look GOOD! 

I contemplated stopping here and just consuming the fruit with some ice cream (non-dairy), but I thought the kids might enjoy the cobbler/biscuit so I proceeded on.

Top the fruit with your cobbler dough.  I found it easiest to make small hand formed biscuit rounds and place those on top of the fruit.



Bake in the over for 25-30 minutes on 400 degrees.

Et voila:


Or if you prefer:


This was fantastic, as witnessed by my exclusive taste test panel




Yep Andrew is wearing a "robe" he was the king last night and of course all kings should have royal vestments.

However I cannot deny that the proof is in the pudding..errr cobbler


We licked our bowls clean.

15 comments:

  1. I love how you vegan-ized this! Cobbler is one of my favorite desserts that I never make. This has just inspired me to make on this weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I am definitely trying your version! love the blueberry addition! the pictures are great! your children sure seem to be enjoying moms cobbler!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! haha! Love the tasting panel, although I noticed the king had no official taster of his own ... he must've smelled the cobbler and just knew!

    ReplyDelete
  4. delicious cobbler looks wonderful lovely pictures

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had some at lunch today, and I was hard pressed to leave y'all any for tonight. Yummy!

    Love always,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. great recipe! and your kids are adorable =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love cobbler....been wondering if that's what I want to do with all these peaches I have.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow... this is perfect because I just bought a crate of fresh peaches :) My kids will LOVE it. By the way, I added you to my google reader ♥♥ Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohhh my! This looks amazingly tasty!!! I am sooo looking forward for peach season down here!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lol!!! Love the robe!! At first I thought it was a cape but of course, he's a King. That's so obvious now ;) Great cobbler recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cobbler is pretty carby but one of my most favorite desserts ever. You have reminded me that I need to come up with a gluten-free and low-carb version sometime. :)

    Your children are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rachel, the cobbler looks so refreshing and delicious. Who won't lick the bowl clean, I definitely would or maybe even eat up the bowl! hehe.. Now you got me go look for peaches and blueberries.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks really good.. I think I will try it with some nectarines I have on hand.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great idea to use almond milk...sounds fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete