Monday, August 15, 2011

Asheville, NC part I

This weekend my husband and I were lucky enough to have parents who would watch our 3 children so that we could go on a weekend getaway.

Luckily the parents did it voluntarily because I am not sure we make enough money to pay for the service they provided...I guess relatives are sweet like that.

So where did we go you ask?  Asheville, North Carolina.

We didn't go to the WNC Food & Wine Festival (I wanted to but I wasn't sure there would be enough vegetarian options for me).  However the restaurants of Asheville had TONS of choices for me.

I haven't been anywhere that was so veg friendly as Asheville (now granted I have not been to San Francisco, Portland, or Seattle...I hear they are all fantastic veg havens). 

All of the restaurants we went to cooked delicious, natural, locally sourced, organic when possible food.  Asheville has it's own food society called Foodtopia some restaurants display their sticker to show pride.


Now all of that goodness being said I wish I had known ahead of time that the weekends in downtown Asheville are CRAZY.  I mean it took an hour to find a parking place.  We went to 3 parking decks and all of them were full.  We luckily ended up finding a paved parking area where we could stay, but MAN!  I really was upset and being to think we may have made the wrong decision.

To intensify the feeling of dismay that I was having we found out that there was a 1 1/2 to 2 hour wait for my first choice of restaurant, Tupelo Honey Cafe.  We walked around a little bit and eventually ended up at the restaurant next door to Tupelo, Mayfels (with a Louisiana flare).

What a treat!

The service was quick and courteous and the food was out of this world.

I chose a spicy black bean burger with fries and my husband had a shrimp po' boy.



Sorry the po'boy shot is so bright.  I had the flash on, which I didn't need.  But I wasn't permitted to take a second shot becuase my hubs was too hungry to put the delicious sandwich back down.

The interior of Mayfel's is ecclectic and funky.


I would recommend it if you are in Asheville to give them a try.  If you are there on a Friday be prepared to have the drum circle (which is across the street in Pritchard Park) drumming in the background.

Mayfel's on Urbanspoon


Also I would like to congratulate Ashley my winner of my first giveaway the beaded necklace from Ecolissa (#3 on random.org).  Your necklace will ship tomorrow!

3 comments:

  1. Every couple needs a free weekend from time to time- glad that you had such a nice dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good that you had a nice time, looks like a great place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It helps when the grandchildren are so daggone cute!

    Love always,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete