Monday, August 29, 2011

G-O G-O GoMacro Go!

I feel a bit like a cheerleader this morning and just wanted to cheer the yumminess of GoMacro macrobars (sorry that you can't see me jumping up and flailing my arms around).

I received a pack of 3 bars to review from GoMacro.



I received Cashew Butter, Granola w/ Coconut, and Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip.

Now I just knew peanut butter chocolate chip was going to be my favorite, so I saved it and the first bar I sampled was granola with coconut.

Man oh Man!  The bar was chewy and flavorful. 

I was concerned that the taste would be similar to cardboard, as some "healthy" bars lack flavor and consistently even though they contain all of the right nutrients.  Not these bars they were similar to something you would make fresh from your own kitchen.



I actually lost the bar half way through to my daughter who decided it was her "treat" and she would finish it up.  No worries though I was glad to share the goodness.


I have sampled the Cashew Butter, and the Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip.  Both are very mild in flavor and not overwhelming.  You get the chewy, almost like fresh baked, goodness in each bite. 

All in all the granola was my favorite although I can't wait to get to the store and pick up a few other flavors and see how they fair (I have my eye on Cherries N' Berries).

They are very filling and it made a great breakfast for me before heading to church this past Sunday. 

For those of you who haven't heard about GoMacro let me tell you just a little bit about this eco-conscience big picture company. 

The companies co-founders (Amelia Kirchoff and Jolanta Sonkin) are a mother-daughter team who built their business from Jolanta's new macrobiotic diet (she used it to help heal from cancer...see here). 

Their bars are
  • gluten free
  • USDA organic
  • Vegan
  • Macrobiotic
What is macrobiotics?  Well it is based on the following principle:
  1. Foods are the foundation of health and happiness.
  2. All foods are composed of antagonistic and complementary elements which determine their yin and yang qualities.
  3. Foods should be unrefined, whole and natural. 
  4. As much as possible, foods should be grown locally and eaten in season.
  5. Grains are the staple food of mankind 
GoMacro food supports the 5 principles and a desire to help the planet.  They purchase their supplies from small growers and farms that care for their workers and the environment (their growers are listed here).  On their site they state that if "nature didn't make it we do not use it." 

The desire to help the planet also comes in the form of packaging (not just the organic pesticide free food).  The wrappers for the bars are made from a film that is biodegradable and compostable.  The boxes that the bars come in is made from 100% post consumer corrugated waste.  Which means you can take the boxes and recycle them OR you can plant them directly in the ground as seed starters.

These macrotreats are really all around a wonderful product and is something you can feel good about eating and sharing with others.  Give them a try and let the wonderful women, Amelia and Jolanta know how much you appreciate their dedication to helping us have a healthier lifestyle.

4 comments:

  1. I know you and Caroline like them, so I might have to try them!

    Love always,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great! I like how you said they were chewy. I'm always skeptical of bars ever since I tried Larabars and hated them. I will give these a try

    ReplyDelete