Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Getting My Frugal On

This past weekend my church held a consignment sale.

If you go on the second day of the sale the items are half off.

Channeling my inner Marie, Feeding Five, and Shauna, What I Love, I proceeded to buy gently used items for my kids at fantastic prices.

My kids were not willing to try everything on and model for me...so I had to splay everything out on the bed and take pics that way (I know not nearly as exciting).

For my 10 year old I picked up 3 shirts, 1 pair of shorts, and pajama pants:


For his age group the pickings were slim.  I am sure it has everything to do with boys at this age being tough on their clothes.

My 5 year old racked up a few more items, although he was disappointed he couldn't find a pair of camo pants (for some reason he really wanted some):


He got 3 t-shirts, 2 shorts, 1 khaki pant, and a rain jacket.  Notice the camo John Deer tee.

However the winner in all of this was my daughter.  I suppose young girls take really good care of their clothes, plus they like to wear pretty dresses (which is of endless fascination for my daughter).

We were lucky enough to pick up this bounty:



1 flannel pajama set, 1 sweater, 3 skorts, 1 skirt, 1 t-shirt, 1 pair of jeans, 1 long sleeve linen shirt, and 6 dresses.  I am absolutely in love with the pink dress that is front and center of the second picture.

What was the grand total for this spree?  $51.50.

Yes got 27 pieces of clothing for $51.50.  That averages out to $1.90 per item.

When I came home and told my husband how good the sale went and how little we spent...he was sold on buying second hand from here on out.

I have to say that "No Impact Man" has made quite on impact on us.  Reusing items instead of buying new is really becoming our mindset.

Tomorrow I will have a little round up to let you know how some of our initiatives are going and to update you on the no poo.

7 comments:

  1. I love consignment sales...and I know I'll be hitting them more once Lucy is here and starts to grow. What great finds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel! Good for you! I love the little dresses! Oh they are precious. I think I like thrifting dresses the most both for me and the girls, it's the best. Doesn't it feel so great to buy used clothing? My kids say they like the used clothes because they don't feel "crispy." hahahaha. I agree, nice and soft and loved.

    I agree with reusing. There is so much we can reuse, it really is great. For me it is efficient and sensible which is less of a burden on my mind, if that makes sense. Not having to worry about getting something new. Something simple as using brown bags that we have as wrapping paper. The kids draw all over it, cut it and use it as wrapping paper. Efficient.

    Great post. I love it all. Take great care,

    Shauna xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a score! I love finding inexpensive clothes for the littles...way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. You saved a shed load of money
    2. You were gentle on the planet by recycling
    3. You gave to charity
    That must have felt SO good!!! :D

    For the past year or so I've been determined not to buy any new clothes. I needed a hiking outfit for Italy last year so I went our local charity shop and picked up a top & skirt for £4, which I then wore all summer. You can't imagine how chuffed I was!
    My mum buys all of Lil L's clothes. She's a 'cool' nan and he always loves what she buys him. She often picks up designer items in charity shops for him. Most cost less than £5 and they look brand new!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YEAH!!!!I love it, I love it! Isn't it the best feeling to get so much for so little. Then when grape juice stains come or they grow out of it or the dog chews a hole in it, you don't have a melt down :)

    I think why there is always so much little girl stuff is parents buy way too much. I have a friend who has a 1 year old that has never worn the same outfit twice, and all her stuff is new. I shudder to think how much she spent on her wardrobe, shouldn't we be saving for braces and gym lessons?

    Anyway, to each their own but I am so happy you got such fantastic deals. Oh & I have that same Brasil shirt for Ethan. Of course I got it second hand. Recyclers Unite!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Having more than one child means that you might be able to do clothing trades as well. Maybe you know somebody with an older little girl, and younger little boy. You could trade outgrown boys clothing for their outgrown girls clothing. I have a friend that makes cloth diapers. I give her huge bags of clothing that my children have outgrown for her younger ones, and she lets me do test runs on new diaper patterns with my little guy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, nice haul. Love the girls stuff. I know my daughter has way more clothes than my son and I think that's the case in a lot of families. More cute stuff to buy for girls in stores, which means more secondhand finds for girls!

    ReplyDelete