Wednesday, December 12, 2012

The Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap 2012

Today is the big reveal for The Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap of 2012.

The Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap 2012

If you aren't familiar with the swap what happens is you get 3 names and then you send each of them a dozen cookies (same recipe).

You can specify if you have a dietary preference, and I selected vegan.

Chocolate chip ginger cookies from Sarah (funny thing she sent me cookies last year...I must have been on the nice list :)!

molasses crisps from Heather

orange pepper biscotti

So in turn I was given bloggers who wanted vegan cookies as well.

I was given JackieAshok, and Jacqueline

I sent them Vegan Gingerbread Biscotti.


I have never successfully made biscotti until this recipe so I was very excited for them to turn out (plus I was really hopeful that they would survive being shipping USPS).

1 C all purpose unbleached flour
1 C spelt flour
1 tsp baking powder
3 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp sea salt
2 Ener-g egg replacer3
1 C sugar
6 Tbsp Earth Balance, softened
3 Tbsp black strap molasses
2 tsp vanilla extract

In a bowl put your flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, and sea salt.  Mix with a fork just to combine.

In a separate bowl mix your softened Earth Balance and sugar until it is mixed well.

Then add in your egg replacers, vanilla extract, and molasses, mix until thoroughly combined.

Add your wet and dry ingredients together and mix until everything is incorporated.

Grease a baking sheet and then with damp hands form 2 rectangular loaves (they should be 2 in x 9 in).

Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.

Allow the loaves to cool on the baking sheets and then transfer to a cutting board.

Cut the loaves into strips (about 12-15 is what you can get from each loaf) and then cut side down put them back on the cookie sheet.

Bake for 8 minutes at 325 degrees.


I did have these taste tested and despite his appearance they weren't sooooo crispy that you had to work so hard for a bite.



I promise if you make these your house will smell like Christmas (as long as Christmas for you smells like gingerbread).

It really got me in the spirit while these were baking.

I hope that Jackie, Jacqueline, and Ashok enjoyed their biscotti.

Have you participated in any cookie swaps this year?  What is your favorite holiday cookie?

Be sure to head over and check out the other great cookies!

If you would like to be notified about next year's swap sign up here.

Also there is still one more day to enter my Conscious Box giveaway, enter here.

9 comments:

  1. What a cool swap idea! Your biscotti looks delicious! I love his face in the picture taking a bite. Silly boy! :o) I love to dip biscotti in gelato. I've never had it on it's own, because that is my favorite way to eat it!

    Those molasses crisps look REALLY good too. Anytime I eat anything with molasses, I'm reminded of my grandparents who used to pour it on our biscuits. Healthy, right? ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your biscotti sound fantastic - I think I'll whip up some for myself, since I can't eat the ones I recieved. I'm so glad you liked the cookies I sent you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy you enjoyed the cookies! I wish you had sent to me...because I LOVE gingerbread. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I would pick your biscotti for sure, it's my favorite cookie, I am a huge fan of crunch. Haven't gotten that many goodies yet this year, but it's still early........

    ReplyDelete
  5. All those cookies look absolutely delicious! I've never made biscotti myself but I would love to have a try. Your recipe does indeed look perfect for Christmas. Thank you so much for sharing it xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Rachel, How long do you think your biscotti would last in a airtight tin? I'd like to prepare some treats in advance of Christmas and wondered if biscotti would last longer than regular cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Long, long ago I tried making biscotti and I failed so epically I vowed NEVER to make them again, but I think you (or that little mister taking a bite!) may have changed my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is like a dream to me! Cookies galore...how lovely. Enjoy them Rachel! :)

    ReplyDelete