Thursday, February 9, 2012

Vegan Brownie Pie

This past weekend my kids and I wanted to celebrate my husband's birthday (a little early).

I think it is because they wanted some cake love him so.

I asked him what kind of treat he would like...which I knew would be like pulling teeth.

See Kyle isn't one for sweets and really he only had one request...he wanted oreos in it.

Well of course I could accomodate him.

I decided I would create for him a brownie pie with oreo crust.


The chocolate all blended together so that you couldn't see the crust, but I promise the overload of sweet does hit you.

For Crust
20 organic chocolate sandwich cookies
1 Tbsp Earth Balance, melted

Take the cookies and smash the hell out of crush them in a gallon ziploc bag with a rolling pin.

Add your Earth Balance and then press into a spring form pan.

Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.

Brownie filling was from Colleen Patrick Goudreau's The Joy of Vegan Baking (which as a side note is just a wonderful book for some very delicious desserts).

Pour the prepared brownie on top of the crust and bake for an additional 40 minutes.

The result was pure joy from my house...mainly because Caroline was so very excited to sing "Happy Birthday."





What is your favorite cake to have for your birthday?

I hope you all have a wonderful Thursday.

6 comments:

  1. What a sweet pic of Caroline! The birthday cake looks totally scrumptious! I bet it didn't last long! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter asked not for cake (though we had some last weekend for the family party- gingerbread) and not cupcakes (she will have those for her friends birthday party- plain vanilla) but for her actual birthday she wants coconut cream PIE.
    Now how to make THAT vegan???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looked like that was your work email- didn't want to get you in trouble- but THANK YOU!! You've blown my mind with kindness. I am so excited- never thought that one could be adapted...so creamy!
    Thank you thank you thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, this is a winner! My family would love this neat dessert! Belated happy bday to your hubby :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday to your hubby! I like the picture of Caroline looking at Daddy. She's so precious! I don't make a cake for birthdays (we buy from our favorite patisserie), but I hope to be able to make it one day... it has more meaning to it and I can ask kids to help (do I want them to help? Hmmm that could be a good question, as it can be messy!). =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was quite yummy!

    Love always,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete