Monday, March 18, 2013

Weekend Wrap Up

Well this weekend wrapped up No Impact Week here in Greensboro.

To commemorate the week I finished by reading No Impact Man by Colin Beavan.




A good book indeed and it gave more in-depth information than could obviously be included in the movie.

I do have to say, and I in no way receive any sort of compensation for doing so, that the book is well done and the real jewel of the book is the list of resources in the back.  You can get website information about how to volunteer with a local environmental group or how to find a clothing swap in your area.  There are also numerous book suggestions (many of which have gone on my list to pick up at my local library).

To further apply our no impact philosophy, and to do something useful with a plastic item, my son Andrew and I made a watering can from a large white vinegar bottle.


To make it was super simple.  He drilled (yes he got a little power tool exposure) one hole in the cap and then several holes in the bottom of the bottle.

To make it work

  • Fill a bucket with water (preferably with water from your rain barrel).
  • Push the bottle down in the water so that it can fill up (keep your thumb off the top hole)
  • Put your thumb over the hole on the cap and lift from bucket


The water is trapped and you can just remove your thumb from the hole once you are at the flower bed.

I was really impressed with how easy this was and that it worked.

Once the recycling project was finished we were on to another project...chocolate making.

I am so very lucky to have a friend like Sharon, Bit of the Good Stuff.  She sent me this fantastic raw chocolate making kit.


I put my fear aside and got out the kitchen scale.

I put WAY to much thought into how hard this was going to be...because in the end it was SO easy.

It took all of about 10 minutes (and then another 90 while I waited for it to set up in the fridge).

My result...well take a look for yourself:

They are in a four leaf clover pattern for St. Patrick's Day


I put a goji berry on each one and waited.  I didn't want to get too fancy or stray from the original recipe as I wanted to make sure I got it just right.

My kids will tell you they love them, but are mad that I didn't let them eat more than one a piece.

They are indeed delicious and I highly recommend raw chocolate making to anyone who can do a little measuring.

Other than that that was about it for my weekend...OH well there was a little matter of Georges St Pierre retaining his welterweight title (in a fantastic fight against Nick Diaz).  


Yeah for GSP!

I hope you all enjoyed your weekend and are ready to kick off a fantastic Monday.

Remember today is the last day to enter my Plastic Free by Beth Terry giveaway (check it out here).

8 comments:

  1. Can I just say I love your blog and what you're teaching your children. I was talking to someone who was lamenting the fact that what they do doesn't make a difference. I totally disagree. I think each bottle recycled, each piece of trash picked up and each healthy habit we (try) and teach our kids makes a difference. I also think each kind word and smile makes a huge difference to the recipient.

    Good for your little one for using the power tool, I bet he was in heaven :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing weekend. I love all the new habits you're developing. We all could benefit from being more conscious of what we do with our money, time, and resources. Thank you so much for sharing. I hope you have a blessed week full of good food, good friends, and much laughter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew did a great job! I can't wait to hear him tell me about it tomorrow. Please make more of those chocolates as soon as Lent is over!

    Love always,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure I could wait 90 minutes to eat that chocolate! They look really yummy! So will you be making all of the candy for the kids Easter baskets this year? :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhh...I love the idea of a chocolate making kit! Great idea adding the goji.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so happy that you're enjoying the chocolate making :D Your goji hearts look stunning!
    Love your recycled watering can!

    ReplyDelete