Thursday, January 3, 2019

Happy New Year...Bah Hum Bug



The new year is upon is...we will be writing 2018 on paperwork for a couple of days at least...AND it is the time of year where people make resolutions to a fitter/better version of themselves.

My husband and I were walking on the beach yesterday and he asked "What is your new year's resolution?"

My flippant answer was "Nothing...these are just promises you make that you know you are going to break."

The conversation moved on, but I kept thinking about his question.  Perhaps I should be so crass with my answer and perhaps there are things I could do all year long to enhance the person that I am.  Perhaps I don't need one singular resolution perhaps I need a list of ideals that I could complete monthly (cum Gretchen Rubin) or perhaps I just make a list and take the year to make my way through it.

So I sat down and started to think of things and included a few doodles along with it because that made it a little more visually interesting to look at (I mean after all I am going to have to keep referring back to this to make sure I get everything in).


My illustrations are not spectacular but I think it helped my creative ideas flow and helped me make a list longer than I originally anticipated.

One of the resolutions I selected was to spend one month doing Kindness Tasks (a separate list was made for those).  I am most excited about this one and foresee it being an all year long list that gets added to as new things come my way (i.e. ideas from my kids who I want to incorporate in some of these activities) instead of just concentrating on it for one month.

My daughter read over my list and was excited to do a volunteer activity together at a local animal sanctuary but was shocked that I want to give up Starbucks for a year...she begged that that one only be a month.  I do love take away coffee, but I feel like I need this time to be more intentional with my purchases and what I consume (both food and products).

To that end to be more conscientious about my purchases I plan to purchase no new clothing, only second hand items this year.  I have whittled down and made a very minimalist wardrobe for myself but I can anticipate that I may possibly need to have a new to me item sometime this year.

As a family we will continue to minimize our possessions and work to have a home that we love and enjoy...not one that we dread having to take care of all of the items.  

So what are you doing this year?  Did you decide to make a resolution or two?  I would love to hear the things you are doing and if you have any suggestions for "Kindness Tasks" I would love to hear them as well (as I said I hope that list grows throughout the year).

I will continue to make posts and updates and let you know how various tasks and ideas are going.  

Until then Happy New Year my friends!



1 comment:

  1. I like your kindness resolution. I have started a new gratitude journal for the year and have chosen the word "present" as my word for this year. I want to be more present for the important people in my life (including you!)

    ReplyDelete