Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Family Beach Vacation 2012

This year we went to "The Edge of America"


At least that is the claim by Folly Beach residents.

Folly Beach is an island about 15 minutes south of Charleston, South Carolina.

It is a beautiful and relaxing beach community.

The two best things for me were that we could walk everywhere and the food was fresh, local, and bountiful with vegetarian options (I would recommend The Drop In, Snapper Jacks, and Planet Follywood).

For my kids the only tough decisions they had to make was whether they wanted to visit the beach:




(bathings suits were optional)

Or go to the pool:



There is the fabulous Pirate Cove playground (there is a lot of pirate lore in the area), for when you needed play time but didn't want to get wet:



 Yes Dad was racing Owen to the top...and Owen won!


And of course we took a day trip into Charleston to see some of the beautiful homes:





We ended the day by picking up cupcakes (this one is a vanilla cake with raspberry filling) from Cupcake (trust me these are TOTALLY worth every penny).

The cupcake was the only food I manager to capture because we were always too ravenous to photograph the take out that we got from the local restaurants.

However I can say that the seafood was very fresh (you can't beat it when it comes straight off the boat to your plate and no time to be frozen and wait on a grocery store shelf) and the restaurants care about the food they produce.

If you are looking for a quiet beach getaway that is perfect for anything from a family vacation to a romantic getaway or even a girls only trip Folly Beach is for you. 

There are bunches of vacation rentals but I have to recommend the condo, Swell Time, we stayed in because the owners, Charlotte and Boyd, were so attentative and really provide tons of amenities.

So what is your favorite summer vacation location (beach, mountains, desert)?

11 comments:

  1. Beach for sure. I am not a camper and what is there to do in the desert? I too think great food is worth the cost & most of the time scarf down that great food w/out taking a pic so I can totally relate to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful vacation you had! I love the pictures of the children by the sea. They're so beautiful! Charleston looks like an interesting place to visit. I love the colored building. They look so bright and cheerful :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beach or pool? Tough decision you guys were making! :o)

    I don't think I have ever had fish as fresh as that before. I'm a little jealous. It sounds like it would incredible!

    Glad you guys had such a great vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never been to a desert, but I like splitting my vacations between beach and mountains. The fun atmosphere of the beach is great but sometimes escaping into the quiet woods is completely necessary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you had a good vacation! The water looks just gorgeous...and I've always wanted to go to Charleston.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah- beach and family fun! Yay for you all- that cupcake frosting is serious. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's been years since I've been there. Gorgeous little spot, isn't it? Looks like you all had a great time. That cupcake is drool-worthy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great photos! It looks like a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That cupcake made me drool! Haha. And about your children’s dilemma, I’d have no problem at all if faced with a ‘problem’ like that in the future - I'll never let go of the beach! Haha! I prefer beaches over swimming pools. Give me the sand, the sea, and the beach anytime!

    Regards,
    Donna Parsley

    ReplyDelete
  10. The second to the last photo is just wonderful! I hope the siblings get to keep and make their relationship stronger when they grow up. And oh my, the cupcake looks yummy! I guess cupcakes should be made that way – the amount of the cream is proportional to the size of the cake. :P And Donna’s right, the beach can probably top off the list of summer vacation spots. :)

    Darius Cartmell

    ReplyDelete